Strange Egg?!?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hannah2, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Hannah2

Hannah2 New Egg

Nov 7, 2013
    We only started getting eggs about a month ago, and we still only get an average of 5/week (we have 7 "laying" hens that are 7 months old)

Yesterday we got 2 eggs! (TWO!) but one of them was strange, and I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen this?

One of them was really dark, and when I went to wash it started peeling! Once it was all clean, I gently set it on the counter to clean the next one, and it shattered.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    is the hen a wellsumer? and how hard did you scrub the egg?

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Dark eggs are 'painted' rather than colored thru and thru, so yes the pigment can be scrubbed off.

New layers take a while to get the equipment tuned in so odd eggs are the norm.
    What are you feeding them, good to provide hens oyster shell offered off to the side of even eating layer mash.

Curious too, what breed hen?

1 person likes this.
  4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yup. Likely a Marans hen.

5. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'm thinking the same...not sure of any other breeds that lay that dark other than BCM.

6. Hannah2

Hannah2 New Egg

Nov 7, 2013
    They are Rhode Island Red. Didnt scrub hard... (its an egg people, gentle, lol) Im feeding them layer pellets and wont be changing (Ive been given a lot of slack for the pellets) they waist A LOT less that way. Im going to look into oyster shells.

7. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    That's a really dark egg. I'd bet that her "spray paint" process worked overtime on that one, and that subsequent eggs won't be as dark. There are often mistakes in the egglaying process when pullets start laying.

The coating on my Marans eggs is really delicate. I can't scrub at all, and even handling them much while wet can cause the dark brown to wash off. I wonder how many of my customers think I dye them or something...

8. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    WOW, that is interesting!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  9. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    can you tell me what kind of roo that is on your avater? i have one such as this but it is the smallest bantam in my flook

10. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Do you mean me? That's a Lemon Blue Cuckoo Marans, someone's color project. He is a BIG boy--must weigh over eight pounds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by