Strange egg

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by inkedlady, Nov 11, 2013.

1. inkedlady

inkedlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2013
    Stoke-on-Trent. Uk
    Can anyone help me please today I had the small egg which is very soft and one of the large eggs was covered in the white stuff in the pic the egg was just laid so was warm what is the white stuff it's soft ?

2. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    I don't see the pic but my guess is its a soft shelled egg, meaning that the gal that laid it didn't put the hard outer coating on it. I'd suggest you increase Calcium in the diet, even in the drinking water if necessary (by adding liquid Calcium Gluconate, which I found in the Cattle Department of my farm store) and watch your girl very closely for the next few days for any symptoms of internal laying or infection. Good luck.

1 person likes this.
  3. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    Agree to a T! I refeed eggshells, by crushing them up, the hens go nuts for them. I also leave full access to oyster shells for all laying flock. My ladies lay nice thick shells!
    If you are already giving extra calcium it could just be a "hiccup" it happens! There are tons of threads on here about the WEIRD eggs that chickens lay, check them out!!!! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. inkedlady

May 24, 2013
    Stoke-on-Trent. Uk
    They have oyster shell every day and laying pellets they have been laying for over 3 months and this is the first time it has happened

5. inkedlady

May 24, 2013
    Stoke-on-Trent. Uk
    [​IMG]

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    The soft white thing looks like a membrane. Something is not quite right with the egg laying system in that duck. Don't blame yourself, you are providing calcium as recommended.

But in my experience, some ducks have troubles with egg laying. Could be an infection, an injury, a misaligned something inside that they may have been born with but is just beginning to cause trouble.

Vets may help. I use calcium gluconate 23% solution added to water (1 teaspoon per half cup) that I add into the food. A vet can prescribe Neocalglucon, which I feed to the duck in mashed peas (works every time).

Could be related to low light, low vitamin D, or other things. It is tough to know exactly, especially at first.

Laying problems can lead to egg yolk loose in the body cavity, causing egg yolk peritonitis, which is often fatal. I don't want to shock or unnecessarily worry you, but I would watch closely, increase available calcium any way I could, and consider a vet. If she shows any sign of lethargy or other symptom of infection, I would pursue antibiotic treatment. Again, a vet's guidance really helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by