Strange Eggs...Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by scrambled_egg, Nov 28, 2011.

1. scrambled_egg

scrambled_egg New Egg

Nov 27, 2011
    Hi, I have just joined. I'm trying to find a solution to an egg problem. Some of the chook eggs seem like they are scrambled inside, or on the way to being rotten but not green. But they're like this the day they are laid! So they're not old or rotten. It's only about one or two in every dozen eggs and I've got 18 hens - mixed breeds and most are laying. They free range and have wheat and household scraps. They have fresh good quality water. We have soil that is quite sandy and can be magnesium deficient and I am wondering if that could be a problem? There is only unsprayed pasture around us and we don't grow any exotic plants. Any suggestions very welcome. Thanks

2. PixieChixie

PixieChixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    I'm not sure. Do you have any pictures?

3. BWchicken

BWchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Texas
    When you say they seem scrambled, do you mean they look cooked? Or the yolks are mixed in with the whites? You said they free range, but do you not feed them any chicken feed at all, just wheat and scraps?

Certain egg issues can point to certain problems, but it's so hard to say without seeing it, and I'm a little unclear as to what you're describing. If you can post a picture of it I know someone will have an answer for you.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  4. scrambled_egg

scrambled_egg New Egg

Nov 27, 2011
    The yolks are mixed with the whites. No, not as if they are cooked. Like they're borderline rotten without the green tinge. As if the yolk "casing" hasn't formed properly. Yes, only feed scraps and wheat but big variety of scraps including things like fresh water crayfish heads, meat off cuts (not much, but still meat), and greens like outer lettuce leaves and other kitchen scraps. (The worms get the onion skins and potato peelings though!) The chooks have the run of 200 acres, but only explore about 4 acres. If they drop off the lay through the year I'll get a couple of 20kg bags of chicken pellets. In mid winter they get warm mash of bran, pollard and some garlic mixed in. Our winters are cold but not snow, and we've only had 2 hot days of summer so far (34oC). The rest of the time it is a nice temperate climate. We've had chickens for 20 years, and this has only happened in the past 18 months. I'll post a photo when I get another one if the above info doesn't help at all.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by