Strange eggs!?

Hens rule

Songster
9 Years
Jan 28, 2015
US
4 days ago i found this huge egg in the laying boxes, as well as many normal sized eggs. Its the one on the left, the one on the right is a normal egg for comparison-

And the next day i got a really small mini egg! My dog ate it beofre i took a picture of it but i got one today just like it. Today i found the mini egg and another big egg probaly a double yolker as well as the one i got 4 days ago. And i got the mini egg. The 2 double yolkers where layed by 2 differant hens the dark one is Davids and the light one is unknown. Davids egg has blood in it. :(

The one on the right is a normal egg for comparison. Do you know why her egg is bloody and why all these cool but strange eggs are being layed. I do have 2 red heat lamps on 24-7 could that be why?

Heres the mini egg!

The one on the right suprisingly is a normal egg for comparison again. Its so tiny, do you think it has a yolk and should i turn off my heat lamps?

argh ! actually I'm looking at my jest, which is pure comedy gold btw, and just knowing some wowser will complain that there are people out there who are silly enough to take it literally. sigh.

None of my hens are new layers. They are between the ages of almost 2 to almost 5 years old, they're birthdays are in March.
smile.png
thanks everyone
Funky eggs like from new layers can also come from older ones going into/coming out of a molt...as well as at the end of their laying life.

No, but seriously, the age and breed are very important for this discussion. Also is there a rooster ? double yolks can equate to twin chicks hatching from one egg.

The small eggs are very common for new layers (pullets). I experienced them with my layers 2 different batches of hens. They became normal size within couple of months of laying then a few started popping double yolkers sporadically which are too big eggs for the cartons. Blood on eggs sometimes is not uncommon since sometimes hens have tearings due to the size of eggs.

The small eggs are very common for new layers (pullets). I experienced them with my layers 2 different batches of hens. They became normal size within couple of months of laying then a few started popping double yolkers sporadically which are too big eggs for the cartons. Blood on eggs sometimes is not uncommon since sometimes hens have tearings due to the size of eggs.
Ditto Dat^^

Double yolkers are also common with new layers.

None of my hens are new layers. They are between the ages of almost 2 to almost 5 years old, they're birthdays are in March. :) thanks everyone

Back
Top Bottom