Strange extra material “blob” in chicken’s poop.

lamccasker57

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2019
Hello fellow chicken lovers, I’m lamccasker57 a new member with a bit of a mysterious problem for which
I’m at a complete loss!
My 1 year old Silkie frizzle had a normal poop, but alongside the poop was a strange “blob” that resembles a piece of chicken meat in texture and color. It’s very firm, but when I squeezed it it split open to the inside. I am including a photo alongside a standard clear marble for scale.
The hen is fine in every way that I can tell.
This is the first time in 15 years of chicken keeping that I’ve ever seen anything like this!
Any suggestions, opinions, or insights into what this might be would be very appreciated!
Thank you!

Attachments

• 78FC265B-2D1F-47FD-8B43-1173EDE2C309.jpeg
    78FC265B-2D1F-47FD-8B43-1173EDE2C309.jpeg
    281.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 56BDE597-9440-40C8-AACC-CD99F2A14855.jpeg
    56BDE597-9440-40C8-AACC-CD99F2A14855.jpeg
    366.6 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    512 KB · Views: 15
Hello fellow chicken lovers, I’m lamccasker57 a new member with a bit of a mysterious problem for which
I’m at a complete loss!
My 1 year old Silkie frizzle had a normal poop, but alongside the poop was a strange “blob” that resembles a piece of chicken meat in texture and color. It’s very firm, but when I squeezed it it split open to the inside. I am including a photo alongside a standard clear marble for scale.
The hen is fine in every way that I can tell.
This is the first time in 15 years of chicken keeping that I’ve ever seen anything like this!
Any suggestions, opinions, or insights into what this might be would be very appreciated!
Thank you!
Maybe a lash egg.

Last edited:
Looks like lash. I’m sorry to say it’s not a good sign, though your hen may be ok for quite sometime. Lash is often a sign of EYP (Egg yolk peritonitis) and overtime the build up can kill your hen. Good thing it’s coming out, but who knows how much is accumulated inside. I’ve had hens with this live up to two years and did ok until the end, so don’t cull anybody over finding lash. Just be aware.

Oh and I forgot to say, I once had something similar hanging out of my hens back end. I thought it was a tapeworm (I was a newbie then to chickens). It had a similar consistency to your juicy nugget there. I think it’s egg membrane.

Lol- sniff it.

Does it smell sulfurous? Especially when cutting it open?

No worries, I won’t ask you to taste it, though it may be a delicacy in some foreign country served with some dipping sauce.

Oh, and welcome to BYC ! Excellent post by the way.

Back
Top Bottom