1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Strange Eye Color? Update photo...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Chick-a-roos, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Chick-a-roos

Chick-a-roos Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2009
    Blue Ridge, GA
    This is Thelma 1 year old Cochin Bantam. I bought a few hens in September 2009 and have recently noticed that she has two different colored eyes. As in the photo...her right eye is golden-red color but her other eye is grayish-blue color. How abnormal is this? Sorry, if I have posted in the wrong topic (didn't seem to fit in any topic). [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  2. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    i have a brahma with both eyes that are a blue/gray color. her hatchery sister has the normal color of orange. i don't know how common it really is though-sorry i'm not much help answering that question.

3. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    I want to see the other side color too. That is neat.

4. Chick-a-roos

Chick-a-roos Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2009
    Blue Ridge, GA
    Finally, a photo of Thelma's left eye! (I didn't post a photo in the beginning bc I had a terrible time holding the camera in my left hand, LOL) [​IMG] Anyway, that eye is grayish-blue in color. I am curious if anyone else has seen this before and know how normal or abnormal it is?

[​IMG]

5. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    what a pretty hen! I think she's gorgeous even with weird eyes! Makes her way neater!

6. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

somewhere on here there's a pic of a roo that is half frizzled and half regular feathered. Apparently chicken genes come in "halves" [​IMG]

7. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    That is cool! I don't know how common it is in chickens. I knew of 1 person and 1 dog that had 2 different colored eyes. Both had 1 brown and 1 blue eye. It's called heterochromia.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heterochromia

8. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Quote:I've seen two dogs. One Husky, one Olde English Shepherd.

9. bubblebean11

bubblebean11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    20 min N of Denver
    I have a turkey that has blue in his eyes. Not the whole eye just like a quarter of each eye. He is really neat and so is your chickie!! [​IMG]

10. Lolita

Lolita Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    FL
    Very pretty [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by