strange eye thing in a peachick-infection?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by preciouspokey, Jul 14, 2010.

1. preciouspokey

preciouspokey Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2009
    Ok this will be fun to describe. After much searching I have found nothing that fits the bill so far. Hopefully someone here can shed some light. I have a peachick ...actually several. Today all of a sudden one has a red ring around its eye. It looks like a circle where feathers have fallen off and is irritated. There is no sneezing, no swelling, no nasal discharge. It is a little lethargic..sometimes. They are all very tame so when it jumped into my hands at feeding time I didnt think twice about it. I let it sit in my lap while I went on filling the food etc. Then I looked at him and though OMG! At first glance I was terrified that the others had pecked its eye out or something, but after a quick check that was not the case (thankj goodness) If I had to describe it I would almost say it looked like ringworm on a person ..almost, not quite. There is a little bit of crusty around one of the eyes. I feel awful and do not know what to do....poor lil thing just wants me to hold it. Any ideas?

2. ranit

ranit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Illinois
    You might try some terramycin ophthalmic ointment. I have used it on a rabbit before and it cleared up the eye infection quickly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by