Strange feather loss

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by amyjdewitt, Nov 4, 2015.

1. amyjdewitt

amyjdewitt New Egg

Jul 19, 2015
    My black sex link has some weird feather loss. It's only on one wing and her head. Her head feathers look like the ends have been broken off. I have 3 chickens total and only she is showing this. She is still laying daily and eating well. [​IMG][​IMG]
    This just started happening a few weeks ago. They aren't any worse the when I first noticed. I had to start keeping them in their house more because they were escaping my yard. Any help would be great.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!
    How old is your bird? You mentioned that you have recently begun keeping them confined more - how does that change compare to the time when you noticed this change in your bird's feathering?

3. chickengr

chickengr Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2014
    greece
    possibly the others are pecking her.

4. amyjdewitt

amyjdewitt New Egg

Jul 19, 2015
    The birds are around a year old I think. They started laying in July so maybe a little less then a year. It started happening right after they were confined more. Her feathers haven't gotten worse in the last few weeks though. My mom thought it could possibly be a protein deficiency.

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Confinement has likely caused a picking issue to set in. How many birds are being held together and in how much space?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by