Strange feather loss

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by srfrgrl, Aug 19, 2014.

1. srfrgrl

srfrgrl Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2011
    Okay, so I don't know what is going on but one thing after another is happening and I am starting to get very nervous. The latest is that one of my chickens (barred rock) is losing a whole bunch of feathers all over her body...I mean like 40%. They are everywhere. The strange part of it though is that the feathers are detaching at the shaft and so she's got a bunch of featherless shafts sticking out of her body. She is not yet 3 years old. She was not feeling well a while back but seemed to recover just fine and is eating just fine but this feather loss thing is throwing me for a loop. They have been getting the organic crumble forever and I feed them meal worms and food scraps. I also grind up their egg shells into a powder and add it back into their feed. Not sure what else to do. Any suggestions, ideas would be greatly appreciated. I tried to get a good picture of her but she kept running away. This is the best that I have. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Is she just starting her fall molt and those are pin feathers coming in? I've got several half naked birds right now with lots of pin feathers coming in.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    To me, it just looks like she's in the process of a molt. Those spiky feather "shafts" might actually be the pinfeathers growing in. My chickens often look terrible during their molts, but in a few weeks, she may look better.

4. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
  5. srfrgrl

srfrgrl Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2011
    Thank you Thank you Thank you!! I feel so relieved. I'm hyper paranoid because of all we've been through with my girls in the last couple of months. I didn't know if molting happened at their age. Thanks for the link. I will definitely check it out. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by