Strange feather loss

srfrgrl

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 13, 2011
Okay, so I don't know what is going on but one thing after another is happening and I am starting to get very nervous. The latest is that one of my chickens (barred rock) is losing a whole bunch of feathers all over her body...I mean like 40%. They are everywhere. The strange part of it though is that the feathers are detaching at the shaft and so she's got a bunch of featherless shafts sticking out of her body. She is not yet 3 years old. She was not feeling well a while back but seemed to recover just fine and is eating just fine but this feather loss thing is throwing me for a loop. They have been getting the organic crumble forever and I feed them meal worms and food scraps. I also grind up their egg shells into a powder and add it back into their feed. Not sure what else to do. Any suggestions, ideas would be greatly appreciated. I tried to get a good picture of her but she kept running away. This is the best that I have.

To me, it just looks like she's in the process of a molt. Those spiky feather "shafts" might actually be the pinfeathers growing in. My chickens often look terrible during their molts, but in a few weeks, she may look better.

Thank you Thank you Thank you!! I feel so relieved. I'm hyper paranoid because of all we've been through with my girls in the last couple of months. I didn't know if molting happened at their age. Thanks for the link. I will definitely check it out. :)

Back
Top Bottom