strange growth coming out of skin on chest

rhodiegal

Songster
12 Years
Feb 18, 2007
North Georgia
I have a broody Maran that I removed from the nest in order to get her to start laying again. I just happened to notice a strange, hard growth coming directly out of her chest - literally poking through a hole in her skin. Underneath the skin, there is a larger area of hard growth, and it is painful to the touch. The skin around the hole is completely infection free - like a peirced ear, only larger. However, under the skin it is blue - and a scary green. Could it be gangrene? It seems to be attached to her breastbone - like a strange bony growth that popped out of her skin as opposed to something that got lodged in there, but I could be wrong. I wondered if it may have anything to do with her sitting for well over a month now on wood (she moved the straw out of the way and broods on the wood) trying to hatch non-existant eggs. Anyone encountered anything like this?

A close up photo would be helpful. Bright green is usually a healing bruise. If there is something poking through the skin- it could be part of her, and I am not sure what that could be besides an abnormal feather shaft or something coming out of her crop. What part of her chest? Crop? Over the keel? I suppose it could be something she impaled herself on, but that would be unusual for the thing to still be there. I assume this does not look like a stick or a big splinter from the nest box? Cut the feathers away to get a better look & post a good close up photo. Also continue to break her up, confine her away from her nest. She has been broody too long & may become ill just from brooding too long.

It is coming out of the keel area. Will try to get a photo today. It does not look like anything recognizable that she may have impaled herself on, I am about to go check on her again and see how the green looks - it was a neon color.

Back
Top Bottom