strange growth on hen-question answered.oops, oil gland..I feel silly!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by roz, Aug 7, 2011.

1. roz

roz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    MA
    Can anyone tell me what this is? We have two hens that have it. They are a golden comet about 1.5 years old, and an ameracauna about 3.5 years old. It is at the end of their back, kind of on the skin on that bump out grouping of feathers, and it's like some kind of skin growth.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Thats where they get the oil to preen their feathers. Watch your hens and you will see them put their beak there and then comb their feathers with their beak. [​IMG]

3. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Looks like the oil gland ~ all chickens have them.

4. roz

Aug 2, 2010
    MA
    OMG! Thank you so much...I am laughing now. I was afraid it was some kind of disease...silly me! I did see our Ameracauna touch it with her beak tonight and then preen her feathers. I thought it was bothering her and that was why she was touching it. Clearly I don't speak their language yet!

5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    [​IMG] I was stumped about that for a long time! At least you asked!!!!

6. bald k9

bald k9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    Rural Edwardsville
    It is also nice to see owners take such care of there animals,[finding the oil gland], I bet your chickens are well taken care of!

7. roz

Aug 2, 2010
    MA
    I would like to think they're well taken care of, but we have had two losses in the last couple of months, and 2 that were nursed back to health. We gave a first round of worming with valbazen recently, then I had a fecal done at the vet because something was amiss, came back positive for cocci, so we are now on our 5 days of corid, then I will have to do the 2nd worming after that is done to stay in the 10-14 day window. We just lost our Polish Crested to some knd of blood sucking parasite that was in her pompom. I noticed it too late. How pathetic is it that we can find the oil gland, but not see the blood sucking parasites in time. I sure dont feel like a good chicken momma right now [​IMG] .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by