Strange growth on hen's comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mah1Mah1, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Mah1Mah1

Mah1Mah1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2014
    Australia, NSW
    Hey guys! My belgian bearded d'uccle bantam, Storm has a weird growth on her comb. It showed up about a month ago and I wasn't concerned. Now it's grown bigger. I wondered if anyone knew what this was? It has recently spread onto another part of her comb too. It looks kinda like a pimple but is black where it is attached to her comb.[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  2. Mah1Mah1

May 25, 2014
    Australia, NSW
    Anyone?

3. Mah1Mah1

May 25, 2014
    Australia, NSW
    Pwease? [​IMG]

4. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    It could be dry fowl pox..usually from a mosquito biting them...it is viral so needs no antibiotics...

Maybe search for some images and see if they compare to what you are seeing on your chickens comb....

5. Mah1Mah1

May 25, 2014
    Australia, NSW
    Ok thanks i'll try

6. kittydoc

kittydoc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2012
    Near Indianapolis
    It could be fowl pox. Try dabbing iodine on the affected areas daily. Fowl pox is carried by mosquitos and other insects. The dry form usually affects the comb and will heal in a couple of months. Egg production may decrease a bit. The wet form which affects the inside of the mouth, throat, etc., is much more serious. It is not contagious from bird to bird directly. There are some preventative vaccines available.

How is she doing otherwise? Eating, drinking, active?

7. Mah1Mah1

May 25, 2014
    Australia, NSW
    She seems fine apart from that growth. She is eating, drinking and alert. I was worried when it spread to another tip of the comb although.

8. Mah1Mah1

May 25, 2014
    Australia, NSW
    Ok, i've done a bit of research and I am still stumped. I looked up on fowl pox and the lesions present on other chickens look like dried up black scabs.
    On the other hand Storms problem looks like a gross pimple with a black base.

Any other suggestions? [​IMG]

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sometimes it is hard to tell odd cases of fowl pox from peck wounds or the fungal disease favus, since they can all be on the comb. The best thing to do is look at pictures and decide for yourself. If favus is a possibility, I usually say to use some miconazole or lotrimin daily for a couple of weeks to see if it goes away. Fowl pox will go away in a month too. Here is a link with pics of pox and two on favus:
    http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/avian-atlas/search/disease/510
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/908877/mites-or-favus
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/881155/pimples-growths-fungus-favus-pox-pics-included

1 person likes this.
  10. Mah1Mah1

May 25, 2014
    Australia, NSW
    Thanks so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by