Strange growth on leg of 2 week pheasant chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by attilahooper, Jun 14, 2011.

1. attilahooper

attilahooper New Egg

Jun 14, 2011
    99.9% sure it was there from birth.
    It is dark coloured and looks like a blood clot. It is not increasing in size and so is constricting the leg at that point.
    Not sure but it could be at it's at the leg joint (I'm clued-out in bird anatomy). Bird is favouring the other leg but can put it down and move toes but it's not comfortable doing so, imo. Otherwise a healthy chick.

The condition does look similar to another incident on this board where some synthetic fibers got wound around the leg. But this looks definitely like a clot of some sort.

Thanks in advance for your help. Daughter is very attached to this one, named Dillweed, after the first got some kinda shock, fell in his water dish and kicked the bucket.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Have you tried to slit it open? It looks like something is wound around the leg, as you say. I think if you leave it then the bird is going to lose the leg. The pics look like there is some sort of restriction. I would very carefully try to slice it open. A very sharp blade may cut through the stricture without damaging the leg (too much).

Keep us posted.

3. attilahooper

attilahooper New Egg

Jun 14, 2011
    thx Carrie, I think that's the next step. I haven't seen anything like it anywhere on the net, doesn't look to me to be any kind of disease.
    Is it true that packing the wound with honey or white sugar after surgery is a method of antibiotic ?

4. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    It looks like there is something wrapped around that leg. I would soak it and see if the black part falls off, then I would check for fibers or hairs around that leg.

5. attilahooper

attilahooper New Egg

Jun 14, 2011
    Thanks Jean, daughter will soon be tasked with soaking the leg in warm water and perhaps gently manipulating the growth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by