Strange guinea situation.

Cajunsamoan

Songster
10 Years
Mar 2, 2009
Louisiana
Okay, I have a very friendly, calm two year old male guinea. Today he attacked one of my 11 month old pygmy goats. He was hanging from her back clawing her back legs. She is okay, pretty shaken up but not any serious damage. He has never done anything like this before. Normally, given the time of year, I would assume he needed more hens to keep him busy. Thing is, he despises other guineas. He thinks he is a chicken. He has six hens (RIR, BO) that are his. So I'm not sure what to do with him. Should I get rid of him or give him another chance? I'm quite attatched to him but can't have him behaving this way. Any ideas? Thanks!

Sorry about your goat...
Maybe the guinea is just being territorial? Mine seem to spaze out when mating season begins in the Spring. They chase the dog and any other birds around out of their space..
I think once they get an idea in their head they don't let go...
I have had them hang on to a rooster's tail until I actually had to knock it away or else it would have killed the roo.

Last edited:
Thanks! I have no idea what caused it. I've been keeping an eye on him but everything seems normal. It's raining now and he is cuddled up in the middle of the goats. I guess he's just weird!! I'm still gonna watch him.

Back
Top Bottom