strange hairy growth on turkey chest

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by bibliophile birds, Sep 21, 2010.

1. bibliophile birds

bibliophile birds Chillin' With My Peeps

i noticed today that one of my Royal Palms (about 7 months) had a strange thing poking out of his chest. at first i thought he'd impaled himself on a stick! upon inspection, he has a strange growth. it's about the size of a quarter, maybe a bit larger, of rough, bristly "hairs" that are sticking out 1-2 inches. none of the others have this from what i can see.

these are my first turkeys, so for all i know this is something totally normal, but i haven't seen any description of it in the things i've read. hope someone has an idea what i'm looking at. thanks!

2. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    It's a "beard" [​IMG] Most male turkeys, and some females, grow them.

They can get quite long. Folks like myself who wild turkey hunt compare the beard and spurs kinda like how deer hunters compare antlers. I've personally seen up to 11" long.

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    It's called a beard. Male turkeys have them. My tom has one and it's handsome on him. My tom is in my avatar and you can see it a little bit on his chest in the pic. His beard is about 4 inches long. I always touch it at night when he is roosting. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
    melle1980 likes this.
  4. bibliophile birds

well, isn't that the weirdest thing! had no idea to expect that. i figured it would be something totally normal if i asked. if i DIDN'T ask, it would have been some highly infectious disease...

thanks guys!

5. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    This is a pic of a nice beard from a wild turkey, you can see how it kinda gets scaly at the base.

[​IMG]

6. bibliophile birds

ewwwwwwwww! [​IMG]

thanks for the pic!

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Is there a reason why they need beards? Is it for telling the girls that its a boy or a flag for romance?

8. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    JUST PART OF A TURKEY
    No real purpose in it, a little sexy to the girls, but thats about it, but even hens can get them in rare cases, though much thinner and shorter

9. thaiturkey

thaiturkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Thailand
    Quote:No more sense than the hair on men's chests. I'm sure that hens can tell toms just as easily if they don't have beards, just as women can spot a man even though he might be hairless. But let's no go too deeply into that. [​IMG]

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by