Strange Happenings in our flock

Heni Penny

Songster
9 Years
Nov 14, 2014
Looking for some advice here...

We never had chickens until about 1 month ago. Someone split their established flock and we have 1 auracuana roo and a few hens. We have a large coop for 10-12 birds (wyandotts or so), which is completely enclosed/shingled/new/etc.

So here's where things get weird. Our roo started seeming weak, I being a novice thought maybe I was crazy so I watched him and felt after two more days my concerns were validated. I checked him over and found evidence of lice (egg packs on his feather bases around his head) and saw one scurrying about near his head. He is having a hard time walking around - it's getting better but he's still ataxic - stumbling, uncoordinated/weak. He is eating/drinking/scratching for bugs and scratch like a champ. Normal stools. No one else had live. I dusted them all and changed the shavings out of the coop and even dusted the coop. The ladies are okay but are still not laying. And, everyone seems to be molting.

I just found out the roo had some previous issues of weakness but I wasn't able to find out what.

The roo is very very thin. But again he's eating well.

Any thoughts?

If he has parasites on him, he probably has them IN him, too. I would get a good de-wormer and do the whole flock. That would account for his weakness.

I'm feeling accomplished this morning. All hens and the roo were wormed, bag balm on combs/legs for frostbite, and new dust bath installed. Noted egg packets from live on another chickens head though. Unsure if I missed it before or if it's new. Next dusting in 4 days.

So far the poop hasn't shown anything but has been much more odofirous than usual. Today the roo can't get into the coop on his own (3 ft off the ground with a ramp), was laying kind of on his side and the hens were stepping on his legs/over him - he didn't care much. I'm thinking this isn't good...

Back
Top Bottom