1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Strange, hard thing on my budgie's beak/nostrils

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by Aylesbury, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Aylesbury

Aylesbury Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2014
    Aylesbury UK
    Hi all,

I just noticed that my female budgie (probably 6-7 years old) has something like a piece of hard skin on her beak, on her nostrils. I am attaching a few pictures. Is this something to worry about? Is it worth getting a vet appointment? Thanks in advance

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. broody rooster

broody rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2015
    i think as they get older the cere gets larger or browner while when they are young its alot smaller i dont think you should worry but just in case can you send a pic of the hard thing in question at a closer angle

1 person likes this.
  3. Aylesbury

Aylesbury Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2014
    Aylesbury UK
    Thanks. I took her to my vet. He was not so sure what it was either. He thinks it could be mites but the other one does not have any problems so that rules mites out. He then said it could be some sort of tumor but there is not much to do about that. He took some pictures and will share those with a colleague. we will see :) Thanks again

4. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I actually had a budgie once who had severe beak mites (aka scaly face mites) but his cage mate never got it. We treated both of them just in case, but the cage mate never showed one sign.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  5. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Her cere might fall off and turn whiteish she might just be going out of condition

6. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    New Jersey
    Hmmm, that is a strange one. I do agree with the vet about the possibility of mites or a tumor. I would also suspect some sort of pox virus, in which case the lesion will fall off eventually on its own.

If the vet figures it out, I would love to hear what his conclusions are!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by