1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Strange Head-Bobbing dance?? *video*

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by scubagirlwonder, Oct 15, 2011.

1. scubagirlwonder

scubagirlwonder Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    Sammamish, WA
    Hi all!
    I just made a post about this in the Easter Egger Club, but thought I'd throw it out there for the general forum...I have an EE that is quite peculiar... She stands very erect most of the time, almost like she's standing at attention with chin tucked in and her cute little chest all puffed out! She's about a year and a half old and has done this for probably the last 6 months or so, but on top of that, she does this funny head-bobbing, funky jive, owl imitation-kinda dance! I finally caught her on video doing it and posted it to YouTube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkA4mKJGSVI

Anybody
    else's chickens do this? We don't have any roosters, so it's not like she's trying to impress her mate or something, and she'll do it all by herself when the other chickens are on the other side of the coop or in the middle of the flock, there doesn't seem to be any particular timing or reasoning to it....she definitely dances to the beat of her own drum.... I love my Miss Petunia....

Here's Petunia Puffy Cheeks standing at attention: [​IMG]

2. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    How funny! Is she ok?

3. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Oh shes to cute! [​IMG]

4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Seems like she is grinding her food in her crop. Check and make sure nothing it caught up in there........ I see some of mine do it from time to time, but if happens often I would check and make sure it's not full of stuck grass etc.... [​IMG]

5. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    I would second the precious poster. Check to make sure her crop is emptying at night and that she doesn't have anything stuck in her throat or crop. My Jersey Giant will do something similar if she's just choked down a bunch of grass.

6. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    Does this remind anyone else of Night at the Roxbury?

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have never seen one of mine do that. Pretty hen!

8. Americana

Americana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Dunnellon, Florida
    I,ve seen some of mine doing that. It's usually after they eat too much too fast..Kinda like the Hic-Ups! LOL! [​IMG]

9. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

She's swollowing her food. My chickens do that all of the time after eating. [​IMG]

10. scubagirlwonder

scubagirlwonder Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    Sammamish, WA
    Quote:How do I check that? Just feel her crop, make sure it doesn't feel hard or something? She's still eating and taking dust baths and her usual (in other words not acting "off").

Thanks for the input!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by