STRANGE! hen lays TWO flimsy shelled eggs overnight in nesting box??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by zephyr66, Apr 27, 2011.

1. zephyr66

zephyr66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Ramona, CA
    last night i went to tuck the girls in and thought one of my hens had gone broody because instead of being up on the roosting bar, she was in the nesting box. this morning i went out and noticed she was out of the nesting box and when i looked inside i saw two full sized broken eggs. i know both eggs are from her because i checked the boxes late afternoon. plus, BOTH eggs were broken (i've never had a broken egg in the nesting boxes) and the shells weren't hard - they were almost rubbery and flexible - more like a thicker membrane. same color as the shell, and not super thin, but not strong enough to keep the egg in tact when being sat on. any idea what this was about?? so weird. she is the "top hen" and this morning is engaging in her normal behavior.

thank you,

Sylvia

2. ScotianChick

ScotianChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Sounds like she was having a tough time passing two shell-less eggs. One of my girls had that problem. She too laid two at once. Give her some more calcium and keep an eye on her. She's probably fine [​IMG]

3. bokboklady

bokboklady Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2010
    one of my top hens had this problem two days running and she looked quite stressed, for two days she had trouble passing her eggs then she laid a soft shell egg two days running, then she went a day without laying at all ( i was quit relieved about this , i think she needed the rest )then she went right back to normal, i had no idea why this happened, possibly she hadnt been eating enough oyster shell grit, which is always available , too busy waiting for treats i think.

4. zephyr66

zephyr66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Ramona, CA
    thanks... sounds like this has happened to others. my hens have a constant supply of oyster shells and even their layer pellets have calcium in it, so who knows. but, at least it has happened to others and doesn't sound like a huge deal.

5. Deanner03

Deanner03 The Cake Queen

This isn't unheard of, especially if she's a fairly new layer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by