1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Strange-I seem to have insect bites- anyone else-*long post*

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jerseygirl1, Sep 15, 2009.

1. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    This is strange, but I always turn to my fellow BYCer's for the best advice - I am being driven absolutely nuts with itching on my ankles and feet. I have done research on what I've been doing, and I thought that it was the new rubber boots I bought about three weeks ago (I am not allergic to latex) because they seem to almost tingle when I put them on. Odd, I know. However, I only wear them in the chicken coop. SO now, I stopped wearing them, and my feet are itchy still though not as much. I have totally de-flead my house with Borax and vacuuming, Frontlined the dogs and cats, still nothing. The other odd thing is that sometimes there is a small bite-like welt, sometimes there isn't. It is driving my absolutely nuts
    My question - could it be some type of mite from the chickens? Now, I have checked them, I don't see anything, but I haven't picked them up to check. I have 12 hens about 16 weeks old. I use DE in the coop along with poultry dust, I use the DCM and add shavings and turn a few times a week. I use poultry dust in their nesting boxes and outside in their run. [​IMG]

2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Does it get better if you take Bennadryl (or other allergy meds?)

I went for about half a week getting mystery welts that at first I thought they were flea bites. They would itch and make a small red spot, then it would spread into more of a welt, that would swell up, and it got worse as the days went on. Took about 4 days to go away. It only happened on my feet/ankles, wrists, knees, and butt. Bennadryl helped.
    I finally assumed that I got into something in the woods because I wear Crocs, and maybe it got on my butt/knees off of my jeans when I stopped to pee?? Anyway, it was weird, but it eventually went away.

3. jerseygirl1

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    That sounds like it, but it's been about three weeks and I am one step from calling the dermatologist.....I will try the Benadryl, though. I just can't see any bugs

4. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Little red welts? Chiggars perhaps? Does the itching make you want to rip your skin off and dig in?

5. kdcrws

kdcrws Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    L.C. FL
    chiggers?

post a pic of the welts

6. jerseygirl1

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    YES!! But I've never seen chiggers, what do they looks like and how do I rid my feet and ankles of them??? [​IMG]

7. kdcrws

kdcrws Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    L.C. FL
    they're tiny u'd never even know they were on u until it was to late. Finger nail polish is was what we used when i was a kid. they burrow under ur skin and the polish suffocates them.

8. GaNewChick

GaNewChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    McDonough, Ga.
    You can't see a chigger. Too small. The easiest way to kill a chigger *if that is what it is* is to buy chigger medicine, or you can paint the bite area with clear nail polish for a couple of days. Does the same thing.

lol ~ posted right behind you....

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  9. Billy7871

Billy7871 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Happens to me every time I go to the coop. I think we decided to call them noseeums. The benadryl does help. Itch like crazy. Feels like I fell into an ant bed.

10. jerseygirl1

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    You guys are the bests - anyone who wants to see pics of my nasty bites is A-OK!!!
    This one happened to be available for picture-taking..

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by