Strange illness: occasional heavy breathing, sneezing, lots of saliva in mouth, runny poo

OwO

Songster
9 Years
May 26, 2014
UK
One of my chickens gets this weird illness every 2 weeks or so where she starts with her face getting redder than normal and her tail standing up less than normal, and she will then rapidly get worse until she can't stand properly and will be breathing quickly with her mouth open.

Her crop feels quite fluidy however she has no smell coming from her beak. There is no discharge from anywhere on her apart from lots of saliva in her mouth. She will drink water and try to eat, but seems to sneeze / cough occasionally when trying to. Her abdomen is slightly fluidy too, but not big and squishy like it would be if it were something like EYP. She is healthy otherwise, is around 6lb, and still lays eggs every few days. It hasn't been hot today either, it was around 22°C (70°F). Not sure how old she is either, I think she is at least 3 though.

I am able to cure it every time it happens by separating her for the night and giving her water with epsom salts in and by morning she seems normal again, but she will have done very dark and runny poops, so I am wondering if maybe she keeps eating something bad. Other than that I am not sure what it is, maybe either a heart condition or a respiratory disease.

Here is a video of her from tonight:

Maybe some VetRx and dried or fresh oregano sprinkled on chopped hard boiled egg to help clear up any respiratory problems.

Back
Top Bottom