Strange impacted crop movement (video)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mavrik, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Mavrik

Mavrik Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Take a look... here

This girl has a chronic impacted crop issues, but this time has to be the worst. It's rock hard and completely full. The strangest is this back and forth movement like there is something alive in there trying to get out.
    What is going on here?

2. Harli50

Harli50 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Utah
    o_O ......................i................................dont.............................know............................thats creepy tho

3. chickengrandma

chickengrandma Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I couldn't view the video for some reason but...

I've read about chickens loving to eat frogs and mice. It is all to possible that your girl is an aggressive eater - considering her chronic impacted crop - and got a hold of something alive...for sure.

Does she appear to be uncomfortable? How is she doing? Pooping? Listless? Active?

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Bless her heart, she ate a frog or mouse is my guess. There is something alive in her crop.

5. sillyena

sillyena Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    Maybe you should get her a crop bra....[​IMG]

6. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    I agree! I think she ate something!! ): Good luck with her!

7. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    Quote:To me it looks to high up to be the crop, my guess is a ruptured air sack

8. un-named

un-named Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Hope she is OK

9. Mavrik

Mavrik Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    I checked it and the link and video works for me, so I don't know, sorry.

There is nothing alive in there, it feels like a golf ball. I've been watching for hours via infrared cam and she does that crop movement from every minute or so to 20 minutes, she can't be getting any sleep then. She is pooping, they are small but firm and well digested. She acts normal otherwise. It seems to me she is trying to free the block herself, but I didn't know that they could move the crop like that, not to mention that much, never seen it before.

I am trying to free the block at the tube but the contents is as hard as a golf ball and I'm afraid of damaging the crop muscles. I'm going to bring her in first thing in the morning so she doesn't eat anymore.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by