Strange Incubation

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dickiebird, Jul 3, 2010.

1. dickiebird

dickiebird Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2007
    Cedar Hill MO
    Haven't been on here in a long time. Spend a bit of time on the sister forum TEG.
    I thought this might be something that others here would be interested in.
    We have one female turkey that just reached the age where she started laying eggs, she would lay them anywhere she felt like. (our birds are free ranged during the day) It was like Easter every day. One day we found a clutch of her eggs on top of what we call the nursery cage. The only way we discovered them was that she went broodie on them.
    Once we realized she was going to set them we left her go but we marked the date they were discovered.
    Well for some reason a few of the chickens decided this was a good place to nest and deposit their daily egg. We left about 8 eggs with her, all marked with the dates of discovery. I know about how long chicken eggs take to hatch but was not sure of turkey time frame, just figured a few extra days.
    Along about 24 or so days we get a chick, a day or so later another for a total of 3 chickens and one turkey. Now over the next 3 or 4 days no more hatches. We pull the remaining eggs with the thought of candling them. They are brought into the house and forgotten about for about 30 hours. When I do candle them 3 look like they were quite aways along and one looks pretty clear.
    Well finally to the interesting part, the 3 viable eggs are slipped back under momma and viola by that afternoon another chick.
    We opened the other 2 eggs after she would no longer set them and found developed chicks in those also. I now wish I had known they were brought in for me to candle so they would have not sat here for over a day.
    This pretty well shows me that all the worry over temp and humid. when incubating is not necessary, another words, if power goes out for a period of time just let things be and you will probably be OK.

THANX RICH

2. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    A lot of it does depend on the temperature and humidity of the room though, what are the temp over where you are at the mo? here in the Uk if that was to happen especially if it was winter the chicks would have died, temperature and humidity is important to eggs and the closer we get to the ideal the better.

3. dickiebird

dickiebird Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2007
    Cedar Hill MO
    They were in the house with a/c on, temp about 68 or so, don't have any idea of humidity, most likely below 50%.

THANX RICH

People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by