Strange.... is this normal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wjallen05, Dec 19, 2008.

1. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    My EE pullet must think she is an ostrich because she is always sticking her head in holes, under things, behind things and just sits there and "hides". Why does she do that??

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  2. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Im sorry, I just couldnt help responding just becuase of the title [​IMG]

Someones normal may Be strange
    But someones strange might just be down right normal
    [​IMG]

3. wjallen05

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    [​IMG]

Well since she's the ONLY one out of the 10 (12 including the Silkies) that does that... I was wondering if anyone else had a weirdo chicken that did the same thing. [​IMG]

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    LOL !!! Sounds odd to me !! But then again we all have "strange" chickens in our flock !!

Wonder why she feels the need to do that !! hmmmm......

5. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    she is installing cameras and microphones and speakers...that is how they start taking over your life!

That or she is oding that thing...MADE YOU LOOK!!!

6. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Oh Lord, I have an EE who does the same thing. She had other . . . ahem . . . issues as well, and is half blind, so I figured it was part of the weird Baby Chicken package. Some of her actions seem similar to symptoms of mild autism or something. She sure is sweet, though! I just have to keep an eye out to make sure she doesn't get stuck in anything.

"Baby, get out of that bucket!"

*sigh*

Here she is, for those interested ~

http://theworldofjenotopia.com/blog/index.php/2008/03/10/the-little-chicken?blog=2

7. lisebarb

lisebarb Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:She's playing peek-a-boo. [​IMG]

8. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    We have an EE that does the same thing when she feels threatened or cornered. Shes a spook, and spazzes at every thing! We named her Henney Penney, cause to her, the sky is always falling!

She has gotten better with age, but I dont think she will eber ca,m down...

Good Luck!

9. wjallen05

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    Wow, weird! It must be a breed thing? My other EE does the same thing SOMEtimes, but not ALL the time like Angelica. Goofy chickens.

10. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Aggression is usually directed at the chicken's head or neck. If the abused hides his or her head, the abuse may stop.

Long ago, I had 7 hens. One day, all the hens decided to beat up #7 chicken. The alpha rooster didn't seem to be able to put a stop to it. The beta rooster was a Sebright and he was really the #8 chicken of the pecking order. Cecil the Sebright, especially, was very upset about the abuse towards #7 hen.

After taking all she could, #7 hid her head in a stack of firewood. She spent a couple hours there. The day ended and she snuck off to the roost. The next day, #7 was Cecil's girl.

Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by