Strange looking....egg?

CedarTuckyJen

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2018
This is my first time asking a question. I've always been a lurker. :)

This was in a nesting box this morning. What could it be?

I have a broody chicken, but she doesn't leave her nesting box. This was in the box 2 down from her. I dissected it as much as I could without vomiting. It looks like a crescent roll with meat inside. So gross.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• 546360939.jpg
    546360939.jpg
    467.2 KB · Views: 18
Thank you for the quick reply.

I do not have a vet in the area that treats chickens.

Our broody chicken has been acting strange for days now, but she will not leave her nesting box unless we move her ourselves. Should I assume she moved two boxes over and laid that? I have over 20 chickens. She is the only one acting "off." There is also an area under her toward the back that is lacking feathers and appears swollen.

Thank you for the quick reply.

I do not have a vet in the area that treats chickens.

Our broody chicken has been acting strange for days now, but she will not leave her nesting box unless we move her ourselves. Should I assume she moved two boxes over and laid that? I have over 20 chickens. She is the only one acting "off." There is also an area under her toward the back that is lacking feathers and appears swollen.

Do you have photos of your broody? (her as a whole and the swollen backside)
Are you sure she is broody and not sick? Salpingitis can make a hen sick and act off, so if you suspect this hen is the one that passed the lash egg, then I would think she's sick, not broody.

She’s the only one not acting right. I can’t say for sure it’s her that did it. Kind of hard to tell with the number I have.

I removed her from the nesting box and now she’s free ranging with the others. Our older chickens are pecking at her. The ones she grew up with are leaving her alone.

Here’s a couple pics. Best I could get.

Attachments

• 22D71CF9-274D-4502-A81B-B96A8534FF50.jpeg
    22D71CF9-274D-4502-A81B-B96A8534FF50.jpeg
    490.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 2B3D8422-DA98-4420-98CA-4D748C323D5F.jpeg
    2B3D8422-DA98-4420-98CA-4D748C323D5F.jpeg
    831.4 KB · Views: 12
She’s the only one not acting right. I can’t say for sure it’s her that did it. Kind of hard to tell with the number I have.

I removed her from the nesting box and now she’s free ranging with the others. Our older chickens are pecking at her. The ones she grew up with are leaving her alone.

Here’s a couple pics. Best I could get.

It looks like she has some swelling or bloat in the abdomen/below the vent. Does it feel hard or fluid filled?

If she is getting picked on, then it would be best to cage or kennel her within sight of the flock so she is protected.

upload_2018-4-25_22-50-56.png

Back
Top Bottom