STRANGE LOOKING EGG

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by houstonw, May 19, 2009.

1. houstonw

houstonw Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2009
    HI THERE TODAY I HAD 8 EGGS ALL OF WHICH WERE FINE NO PROBS BUT LATER ON TODAY I FOUND THIS IN THE COOP NOT SURE WAT IT IS IT LOOKS LIKE AN EGG BUT WITHOUT THE HARD SHELL IS THERE A REASON FOR THIS THIS IS THE FISRT TIME I HAVE HAD THIS ANY SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO AVOID THIS IN THE FUTURE WOULD BE GREAT THANKS
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    I get a soft shell every so often too. But mine look round not that hanging stuff on yours. Maybe someone can answer why this happens. Mine have access to oyster shell.

3. houstonw

Apr 21, 2009
    I GIVE MINE A MIX OF OYSTER SHELL AND EGG SHELL ROASTED IN THE OVEN FIRST JUST WORRIED INCASE SOMTHING IS WRONG

4. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    I'm so glad I've never found one like that. lol. Assuming she is of sound body and health, it's just a fluke, a freak accident.

Coccidiosis can cause shelless, deformed eggs, as well as, Infectious Bronchitis.

5. houstonw

Apr 21, 2009
    IS THAT BAD IM NEW TO THIS ONLY HAD MY GIRLS FOR 8 WEEKS OR SO DONT KNOW MUCH THATS WHY IM ASKING FOR ADVICE WHAT IS COCCSIDOSIS NOT SURE IF I SPELLED IT CORRECT BUT WAT IS IT AND CAN IT BOTHER MY OTHER GIRLS I HAVE 11 HENS 1 COCK I DONT KNOW WHICH GIRL POPPED IT OUT

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:Shell less eggs happen occasionally. I get one every couple months. I wouldn't worry about it. Someone here actually posted that they ate one earlier this week. I'm not so sure about that. LOL! If your chickens are acting sick post in the Emergencies section with a complete list of symptoms so someone can help you. (Read the stickies at the top of the section (forum). Keep reading and asking questions and before long you'll be giving the advice, based on your experience. Good luck.

Imp

Oh! teacher were you the one that ate it. Too funny!

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  7. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    wow thats disturbing lol

8. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Quote:An occasional egg like that is perfectly normal and expected. If that's all she is laying than that would be cause for alarm. I think she's fine, but I thought I'd throw out other possibilities in the event that's all she lays.

Coccidiosis is an intestinal disease caused by a protazoan parasite found in the soil. Essentially, the protazoa cling to and destroy the intestinal lining, allowing it to rot and become susceptible to bacterial infections. Symptoms inclue: depression, bloody or pasty diarrhea, paleness of face (especially eye ring), sudden weight loss, and in the case of hens numerous soft-shelled or shelless eggs and prolapse. Coccidiosis is most common in young birds, especially chicks that have been newly introduced to soil, but all birds of all ages can get it. Over time your flock will grow immune to the species of cocci found in your soil. It's not a serious threat, sounds horrible but it isn't that bad. [​IMG]

9. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    Quote:[​IMG] funny

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  10. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:Not a hillbilly a HERO. I bow to you and your stomach [​IMG]

Imp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by