Strange looking liver found in 3 year old hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChristaLynn, Nov 19, 2013.

1. ChristaLynn

ChristaLynn New Egg

Nov 19, 2013
    Hello,
    I just butchered 4 of my older hens that weren't laying anymore and one of them had this thing attached to the liver that looked like something you would find in a chicken that has been dead & dried out for awhile. It's flat & firm & dark brownish with white mottling. The rest of the liver looked normal to me. I've searched all kinds of organ diseases & I haven't been able to find anything that comes close to what this looks like. I feed my birds a mixture of chicken scratch, ground beef, raw milk, mineral salt, & kitchen & garden scraps. They have mostly been free range & the only bad thing that they get into is occasionally they find a bit of polyboard insulation from construction. Does anyone know what this could be? Sorry, I threw out the rest of the liver before I took pics but here is that weird piece:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Thanks for any input!

-ChristaLynn

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Interesting... You should email the pictures to an avian pathologist, they might know what it is.

-Kathy

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Forgot to say

!!!!!!!!!!!!Welcome to BYC!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    WOW!

5. ChristaLynn

ChristaLynn New Egg

Nov 19, 2013
    Thanks Kathy [​IMG] Great idea!

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by