Strange looking liver

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by LilRalphieRoosmama, May 24, 2008.

1. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Culled the last 7 Freedom Rangers last night and *whew* am I glad that's done! Noticed on one of the hens that her liver was a light peanut-butter color and was mushy. Was concerned that she was sick and maybe we should toss the meat. Made a call to an old-timer who has raised chickens all his life. He said not to eat the liver, but the meat is ok. He was kind of hard to understand (think he had a stroke) but I think he said something about the blood sugar and diet. I was feeding them an almost equal amount of scratch in with their feed. Could this be why? Could she have been eating almost entirely scratch and not getting enough nutrients? The rest of her looked perfectly fine including the other organs. Thoughts?

2. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Probably a parasite/flukes. Just toss the liver and organs. The meat will be absolutely fine.

3. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    oh oh...mixed the rest of the organs in with the others...except the liver. We are planning to cook the organs for stock. Problem?

4. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    If they look fine, the no problem. The cooking of the organs would kill anything potentially harmful to you... it's just a matter of the texture and taste is probalby not correct coming from an infected organ.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by