Strange-Looking rump on new pullet.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by drdoolittle, Aug 19, 2010.

1. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I bought a couple of pullets at a swap meet this past Saturday. I thought they were EEs because of their muffs, and didn't really care what breed they were---just that they had muffs. Anyway, I had noticed at the time, that some of the pullets had feathers missing where they should have tails----almost looked "rumpless". I inadvertantly ended up with one of these----my 15 yr old son was rushing me, and I also thought it's feathers just hadn't come in. I'm just wondering if the guy actually cut the tail off this bird? The other one has a full tail, but is there some reason why he would have done that? It appears that feathers are coming in, it just looks strange----I'll try to get pics. of it tonight. Oh, the birds are around 3 months old.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  2. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Being Ameraucana, could be it has Araucan in it. Araucana's are rumpless - no tail feathers, no tail.

What you have is an EE that is probably partly Araucana and/or Ameraucana. If Hens should get some nice blue eggs. If Roo breed it with a white egg layer and have an EE that lays blue eggs.

Cool.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by