1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Strange Looking Wings

Discussion in 'Quail' started by MageofMist, Dec 27, 2016.

1. MageofMist

MageofMist Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2016
    Britain
    The runt of the chicks seems to be developing way slower than the others, still making the "whee" calls and trying to hide under it's siblings and my hand, and still is as docile as when they were first hatched, compared to the others that are very wriggly now. It is also getting it's wings rather oddly, and while it doesn't seem to be bothering the chick, I still kinda worry. ^^;

It is eating and drinking fine and it isn't the feed or else the others would be like that, and I know for sure it's legs are ok as it can run and jump just fine, but I am worried about the wings.

Here are some pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Any idea on what it could be? And if there is any way I can possibly correct it? Or am I just being a worrywart and worrying too much over something small?

2. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    I've had that in a few hatched chicks. Just a normal part of development.

3. MageofMist

MageofMist Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2016
    Britain
    That is good, I was rather worried that maybe the chick would have issues growing or flying later on.

4. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    I had the same worry with my first batch too. I asked about it too. I thought it was some kind of weird growth issue and I'd have to cull them. But they grew out of it after a few weeks and I couldn't tell them apart from the others at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by