Strange lump in eggs

Tj11

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 6, 2012
Hi I recently bought two hens from an auction. Once getting them home we saw they were completely infested with lice and severely malnourished. We've since wormed them and powdered for lice. Unfortunately one was so sick we had to put her down. The second one seems happy except once you crack open her eggs there is a strange fatty lump and a black dot inside the yolk of the egg. The eggs are definately not fertile and I'm completely at a loss as I've never seen this before and need to know if this may be infectious as we have many other poultry on the property. Any help wld be greatly appreciated.

Hi I recently bought two hens from an auction. Once getting them home we saw they were completely infested with lice and severely malnourished. We've since wormed them and powdered for lice. Unfortunately one was so sick we had to put her down. The second one seems happy except once you crack open her eggs there is a strange fatty lump and a black dot inside the yolk of the egg. The eggs are definately not fertile and I'm completely at a loss as I've never seen this before and need to know if this may be infectious as we have many other poultry on the property. Any help wld be greatly appreciated.
Are you talking about the chalazae?

As for the black dot, is it a blood spot?

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply but it's definately not that. It's about 1cm long!, on the outer edge of the yolk shaped like a kidney. It is in every egg she lays but I've never seen it in any other chooks egg.

If she lays an egg today I will take a pic and post. Thanks

Well I can't believe it she had the lump in every egg for two weeks and from the day I want to take a pic no lumps in any eggs. I'm hoping this means the problem has gone away whatever it was. I'll keep you posted if it happens again. I'm wondering if perhaps it was due to malnutrition as she has put on heaps of weight in the time we've had her and is looking so much better. I'm still not eating her eggs though just incase. :/

Well I can't believe it she had the lump in every egg for two weeks and from the day I want to take a pic no lumps in any eggs. I'm hoping this means the problem has gone away whatever it was. I'll keep you posted if it happens again. I'm wondering if perhaps it was due to malnutrition as she has put on heaps of weight in the time we've had her and is looking so much better. I'm still not eating her eggs though just incase. :/

Did you ever figure out what this is? I got a hen from someone and she wasn't laying - in her off cycle I was told. She just started laying again, and I saw this same kidney shaped brown lump in all 3 eggs I opened. I will get a pic next time for sure. I'm not eating them either! THanks

Does it look like this? I found this in my hen’s egg this morning. The rest of the egg was normal. I cut it in half and it was solid throughout kind of the consistency of a hard boiled egg… Anyone know what this is?
My hen started laying again about 6 weeks ago after stopping for her molt, but then layed this egg, and after that a tiny witch egg (No yolk), then stopped laying again. Granted, we did get that big snow storm during that time so maybe she was just disrupted by that.
She is acting fine, but I want to make sure this is fairly normal and nothing to worry about.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom