Strange lump on chick

Ck123

Hatching
Mar 11, 2018
Hi.

I am looking after some hatch chicks for school. One chick has a large lump near its bottom.
I thought it might be pasty bottom but they have had it since birth. It is smaller than the other chicks which hatched from the same batch. The skin around it keeps matting

The chick is 5 days old.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20180311_222904.jpg
    IMG_20180311_222904.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 12
If you could get a closer picture to the actual mass, that would be great. But from what I can tell it does appear to be pasty bottom unless, is the mass anything other than poop from what you can see?

It seems just above the bottom. It was a red lump to begin with and I was advised it would dry.

It seems to now look like a dried lump about a raisin sized black head.

I've tried soaking to remove pasty bum bit this is more of a lump.

The chick is smaller in size.

Attachments

• IMG_20180311_224126.jpg
    IMG_20180311_224126.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 11
Hi.

I am looking after some hatch chicks for school. One chick has a large lump near its bottom.
I thought it might be pasty bottom but they have had it since birth. It is smaller than the other chicks which hatched from the same batch. The skin around it keeps matting

The chick is 5 days old.

Thanks

Looks like pasty butt for sure, with a prolapsed vent. Witch hazel is commonly suggested - but I prefer coconut oil or olive oil because it doesn’t burn if the chick is cracked or otherwise irritated back there. It soothes the vent and helps get that stuck poo loose too. Soak it’s little butt in lukewarm water first, try to get as much off/out as you can with a q-tip (pressing gently around its vent, not sticking it inside the vent), and then slather it with whichever oil you have on hand (even Vaseline will work if you don’t have coconut or olive oil). Just have to be persistent with keeping it as clean, and as poop free as possible. Also, make sure it’s totally dry after washing it if there’s any chance of a draft or a breeze. Don’t want to get it sick. Good luck!

Thanks for your help.

We have tried soaking several times and it hasn't loosened or gotten any better.
Have tried soaking, blow drying and oiling.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks
Carl

Thanks for your help.

We have tried soaking several times and it hasn't loosened or gotten any better.
Have tried soaking, blow drying and oiling.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks
Carl

Keep at it! That stuff is thick and sticky like glue! Make sure to stay diligent with keeping the oil on it.. and it probably wouldn’t hurt to put a little olive oil in its food either. Maybe give it some egg yolk (they love it) with a couple drops of olive oil in it to help her poop it out. It can be frustrating for sure.. but you’re awesome for trying so hard! Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom