1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Strange mass expelled from chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Plumblebee, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Plumblebee

Plumblebee New Egg

Feb 8, 2015
    I found a strange mass in my nesting box this morning. I'm not sure which hen it came from. It was very hard and rubbery. Graphic pics are below (hopefully they show up). And all are still alive. I would have expected something like this to kill her.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I have seen photos like that in threads about egg yolk peritonitis. I have also read about chickens laying shell-less eggs, but I don't think they are that solid.

Edit: See my post below

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! That looks like an egg gone wrong.

-Kathy

4. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I tried to do some searching. I think it is also called a lash egg. It is not necessarily a sign on Egg Yolk Peritonitis (also called internal laying). It is just that egg laying irregularity can sometimes be associated with internal laying, but if this is the only unusual thing you have seen, then it may be nothing to worry about.

Here is a link with other photos like yours: http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/ChristmasAlienEgg/ChristmasAlienEgg.html

And a link about lash eggs: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/473989/weird-egg-weird-clump-lash-graphic-pics

5. Plumblebee

Plumblebee New Egg

Feb 8, 2015
    Thank you, scratch n pec! The lash egg pictures look very similar to what I have. As long as she's acting normal I'm not going to worry. Thank you for finding the info for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by