Strange Mixes! post your pics!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Auroradream26, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    [​IMG]

This is Pebbles. She's only 9 weeks old though I'm dying to see what she looks like when full grown. She's a cross between a Silver Laced Wyandotte and Black Copper Marans. I don't know about you, but I think she looks a lot like a Gold Laced Wyandotte chick. I do know that my roo carries the recessive wheaten gene but still, I never expected this!

[​IMG]

This one is Lucky. She's one of Pebbles' sisters except, she's 1/4 buff brahma and 3/4 Blue Copper Marans. The other 3 that are that mix are showing all sorts of signs that they are a mix, except little Lucky here. Now I don't have a trained eye (yet) but I swear she looks like a pure Marans lol. Loving my mixes so far!

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    My Avatar chick turned into the hen that brooded my May Rhodebars...she came from a grab bag of fertile eggs I got at the farm store that was supposed to be "layer" types but turns out came from a farm that had a lot of different breed types, including some rather rare and unique.

My best guess Ms. Marvel is most likely a Wyandotte/EE.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Then this one, I never did quite figure out....She looked like a Robin Red Breast for the longest time. I figured either a Sumatra/EE (one viewers best guess)...but she lost the dark comb as it turned red, then her earlobes went white...so I wondered if she were perhaps an Andalusian/EE or OEGB in place of the EE. Unfortunately I lost her to a rat trap accident. She was about 3/4 size to large game size.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I enjoy my barnyard mixes. Overall they are very pleasant and very pretty birds.

Lady of McCamley

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    EE/Leghorn cross, the parent stock for several of the hens below...

[​IMG]

Above hen under black sex link rooster. Nice green egg layer.

[​IMG]
    Above hen under bsl rooster again, green egg layer.

[​IMG]

BSL rooster over slw hen.

[​IMG]

Above hen, again under bsl rooster. Another pretty green egg layer.

[​IMG]

BSL rooster over slw hen. This in one hefty girl!

[​IMG]

4. Auroradream26

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    You guys have such beautiful birds! I love the surprise factor with the mix breeds. You never quite know what you'll end up with :)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  5. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Lady,
    I would actually hazard to guess that your girl is a Welsummer Wyandotte cross. She doesn't exhibit any EE traits at all. She definitely carries the salmon breasted partridge coloring of a Welsummer hen. Just an observation [​IMG]

6. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Yes, that is a distinct possibility...EE came up as there were blue eggs in the batch and other regular eggs that rendered chicks with some really odd coloring that one BYC member pondered if an EE roo had been in the mix to bring the unique colors. None of the muffs or beards carried through even though the eggs were blue...and neither did a crest...so EE was the most likely guess even with lack of muffs and beards which fall away rather quickly into the 2nd and 3rd generations.

But I agree this particular bird may be a Wyandotte/Welsummer....or she might have some OEGB as she is a bit smaller, more 3/4 size, especially compared to my full Wellies and Wyandottes.

I did get what appears to be a Welsummer from that egg batch who was pure enough to lay very dark eggs...the other bird in the photo with Ms. Marvel....so it is likely Wellies were are the farm...and maybe one Wellie winked at a Wyandotte.

I think the farm had roo's and hens running indiscriminately around such that the progeny were truly barnyard mixes...and a lot of fun to guess what the parentage might have been. [​IMG]

Lady of McCamley

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Here some weird ones...3 mo cockerels:
    Dark Brahma mix over Cochin mix
    [​IMG]

Dark Brahma mix over we're not sure which one of the other funky mixes...not sure where that red came from
    [​IMG]

Welsummer over Amberlink/EE mix
    [​IMG]

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Quanie and EE mix who lays blue eggs
    [​IMG]

9. Auroradream26