Strange neck balding on Silkie!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by msiler, Jun 17, 2019.

1. msiler

msiler Songster

Nov 26, 2018
    Well, I just got back from a 9 day vacation. Someone was living at the house, taking care of all the animals and the chickens. I just got back about an hour ago and went to go see the chickens. Everyone looks great! EXCEPT for this little silkie hen... What is up with her weird balding??? There was no sign of any balding before I left, minus some pulled crest from the rooster. What could cause this??! Isn't it too late to molt? The other two silkies that came from the same hatchery at the same time as her have no balding.... help! 20190617_185226.jpg 20190617_185052.jpg 20190617_185245.jpg 20190617_185102.jpg

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Got my Puppy

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Looks like someone was plucking her.

msiler and CSAchook like this.
  3. CSAchook

CSAchook Crossing the Road

Aug 21, 2017
    New Mexico
    x2 That looks like another bird has been pulling out her feathers.

msiler likes this.
  4. msiler

msiler Songster

Nov 26, 2018
    There is no blood or scabs anywhere on her though.... can other chickens just pull out her feathers like that?

If that is the case, how should I stop it (or lessen it) from happening?

CSAchook likes this.
  5. CSAchook

Aug 21, 2017
    New Mexico
    Yes they absolutely can pull out feathers and just leave behind bald skin with no other obvious signs of irritation. I have a feather puller in my flock :hmm

There are a couple options that I know of:

1) Us a commercial anti-pick product, like Pick-no-more, The Peck Stops Here, or even blu-kote to deter pecking while the feathers re-grow.

2) Figure out who the offender is and fit them with Pinless peepers to physically prevent further picking.

3) Remove the offender from the flock.

4) Increase the protein intake of your flock. Many people on this site suggest that feather picking is a sign of protein deficiency. That is not the case in my flock (it is just a chronic behavior issue between a couple of my hens), but it is certainly worth considering.

5) Try to reduce stress in your flock—by adding space, removing problem birds etc. Problems like this seem (in my experience) to be more common when birds are stressed. In my flock the issue always happens during the stir-crazy months of late winter/early spring.

msiler likes this.
  6. msiler

msiler Songster

Nov 26, 2018
    Great information! I will spend some time tomorrow observing to try to figure out who it is. She is the smallest hen we have so of course she will get picked on... I will also check out those creams! Thank you!

oldhenlikesdogs and CSAchook like this.
  7. CSAchook

Aug 21, 2017
    New Mexico
    No problem and best of luck to you! In my flock it seems to happen while they are roosting, so try to also observe them in the evening.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: