Strange Neck Feather Situation

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sprig, Jan 26, 2014.

1. sprig

sprig New Egg

May 14, 2013
    My Plymouth Rock has a strange neck feather situation and I'm not sure what it is. Her comb is also pale and has shrunk. She has been eating and acting fine. She isn't laying, but that has been going on since November. I am finding quite a few of her feathers around so I'm guessing she is molting, but I want to be sure. It has been really cold around here so I thought was a weird time to be molting. She had some poop caked on her bottom that I cleaned off today to make sure that isn't it. I also have a R.I. Red that is perfectly fine.

I attached some pictures and any and all help would be great. Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That looks like molting which can start around the neck. I would pick her up and look at her skin all over, and especially around the vent and neck for lice or mites/eggs. If found treat with 5% Sevin dust or permethrin. If she is close to 18 months old she should be the right age to molt, and they do it every 12 months. They don't lay during a molt and when they don't have at least 12 hours of daylight. The comb sometimes turns pale also during molt.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Seems like she's molting to me. The strange feathers are new, growing feathers which haven't erupted from their feather sheaths yet. A pale comb is not uncommon with molting birds, and most stop laying during molting, too.

4. sprig

sprig New Egg

May 14, 2013
    Thanks for the responses. She is about 11 months old so I am not sure if this matters or not. I think it has to be molting because everything else looks fine. How long should these feathers be like this?

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  6. sprig

sprig New Egg

May 14, 2013
    Thanks so much. Yes lots of feathers. It has to be that. I'll check out the link.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by