Strange neck twitch/stretching in bird after lose of others??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kimmom, Aug 11, 2011.

1. kimmom

kimmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2010
    I am here again! I had been losing some birds and ended up treating them with Streptomycin.. then I didn't lose anymore then a 2.5 weeks after a 4 month old Buff Cochin died [​IMG] He was acting off for a day then died the next day, while he was dying he couldn't stand and would fall over on his side.. Now I am wondering if it Merricks that they all have had?? None of the 4 that died had splayed out legs or anything like that, they got sick, weak and wobbly and died within a day or so..I thought cooccidiosis so bought Sulfa Methazone to treat the rest.. Only one other (4 month old Lavendar) is acting strange and it is doing a neck twitching/stretching thing.. Almost like if we were to get a twitch or a shiver, goes from its chest up to its head. It will stretch its neck out and twitch every once in a while.. I am going to look for my last post to see if its help you all help me figure to out!! Thanks so much! I am losing sleep over this , they are my daughters well loved pet birds!!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Were they choking, gasping for air? Were they eating/drinking normally?

3. kimmom

Feb 20, 2010
    No choking or gasping that I can see. The ones that died were not eating much the day before death.. But otherwise normal until then. This Lavendar is eating and drinking normal and no choking or gasping.

4. kimmom

Feb 20, 2010
    4 of 50 died not 54!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by