1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Strange new crowing????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by socks, Dec 29, 2009.

1. socks

socks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    Pacific Northwest
    Hi, I woke up this morning to the sound of our rooster and a new and strange kind of crowing. He is 6 months and has only been crowing for a little over a month but while it started out odd and incomplete in the beginning he had settled down to a consistent nice crowing (o.k. it's winter and not at 4:30 a.m. so it still is charming). But this morning it sounded kind of strangled or hoarse especially towards the end. I got out there as fast as I could fearing he was somehow caught in something but as I got close to the coop the crowing seemed to get better.

I wondered....do roosters get 'frogs in their throat' the way humans do??

Then, but I think this is unrelated I checked the coop and lo and behold!!!! finally the first two eggs!!! Was he just being a choked up, proud father or....because the eggs had been stepped on and cracked....okay likely this had nothing to do with it. Anyway, I know I need to make some changes to the nest box and will go back and search the plastic stacking boxes that people have been using as I think that will work better in our situation but I just hope that this strange crowing isn't a sign of some health problem....
    It still sounds a little odd towards the end so if anyone has any ideas about this please let me know. (I have been supplementing their food with warm oatmeal sometimes mixed with a pinch of cayenne or yogurt but hadn 't given this for a couple of days)

Thanks for any help

2. socks

socks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    Pacific Northwest
    I guess I should have put this in the chicken disease/sickness thread as while he looks o.k. the sound is getting worse. He's only crowed at dawn this morning but it sounded painful. I will search out crop problems as I just can't think what it would be. He is a 6 month old Buff Orpington. I think something has definitely gone wrong but what? Hoping to hear from you. thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by