Strange new sound...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MalMom, Jul 28, 2013.

1. MalMom

MalMom Songster

Apr 21, 2013
    Colorado
    Just a few moments ago I heard the strangest noise coming for my chickens outside. Thinking there must be a fox, or a coon and ran out with my dog and a flashlight only to find... nothing. [​IMG] Nothing scampered away from the chicken run area, and all seamed peaceful. My dog didn't seam to notice anything. The only "weird" think was my one chicken was standing up looking very aware for a bird that should have been either asleep or almost asleep. The call kind of sounded like cack-le... cack-le... cack-le... Does anyone know what that means? Do I need to look more closely for danger, or is there another reason for the strange call?

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Free Ranging

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Hard to say - chickens have a lot of vocalizations. Roosters can growl. The warning call for a predator sounds similar to the egg song (bok bok BAGAWWWWK) only a much higher intensity.

3. MalMom

MalMom Songster

Apr 21, 2013
    Colorado
    Thanks for the info. Everything seamed fine this morning so I don't know what was going on last nigh.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: