Strange noise from brahma hen UPDATE: Page 2

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
*Knock on wood* my LF brahma flock has always been extremely healthy. They are now 2 years, 7 months old. I lost one to a heart attack a year and a half ago and one to a hawk recently, but that's it.

This morning everyone was fine. Then one of the buff hens commited a chicken crime, not sure what she did; but she got chased a good distance by one of her sisters.

Since then she's been wheezing when she breathes in. At first it was loud, but now a few hours later it's barely noticable. Her comb and wattle colors are good and she has no other symptoms. She appears to be a totally healthy chicken except for this wheezing.

They free range all day, no matter the weather. They have layer pellets available 24/7. Fresh water daily. No additives in the water. There is absolutely no ammonia smell in their coop. It has good ventilation. In fact, except when it's very cold or raining hard there are two large windows open.

DH is attributing her wheezing to the high humidity. The humidity has been hovering around 95 to 98% for the last couple of days. Our weather has been weird, cold for a week then back to the 80s, as it is now.

Worry or not? I don't medicate except in extreme cases.

TIA
smile.png

Last edited:
Something may be stuck in her windpipe. My own Nora had that happen. She was coming into lay and strained to get that egg out then suddenly, a few minutes later, she sounded like air coming out of a balloon. I actually called Pine Grove on the phone so he could hear her. He said either she had a ruptured air sac or something was caught in her throat in light of the fact it came on suddenly and there were no other symptoms. We syringed oil down her throat and massaged a bit. By morning, she was back to normal, so it was obviously something in her throat that she was breathing around. Something could have gone down wrong when the others chased your hen. I'd just observe her, get oil down her throat so if something is stuck, maybe it will slip on down.

Let us know how she is tomorrow, or if she's better by tonight. I hope it's something simple. Nora sounded awful! I was very happy that William was at home when I called and was able to give me some insight. I'd never heard anything like it from my flock before that day.

I am curious on how you put oil down a chickens throat? I know there is a right and wrong way.
I want to try this with my rooster. What kind of oil and how much?

Sorry, I don't mean to jump in
hmm.png

Vet Rx is not what I'd recommend at all for this problem. Honestly, it has little value for anything of this nature, especially since it may not be respiratory at all. If you determine it is actual wheezing from something respiratory, we'll go from there, but it may be a blockage in her windpipe and that's what I'm leaning toward. All you do is get a needleless syringe and open her beak and squirt it down-she'll just swallow it, no need to worry about it going in the wrong place since you're not putting the syringe into her throat. Any veg oil is fine. One 3 cc syringe full is enough for the time being.

Also, check her nares. Sometimes they just cram feed or dirt up in there or get a piece of corn stuck.

Quote:
Cyn, I'm getting ready to go out and check on her now. The wheezing was very mild when I went out there to give her the oil. I used olive oil, but understood that I could use any; I just happened to have some olive oil handy. I forgot to ask how much to use, so I only used 2 cc of oil. I laid my ear on her back and it does not sound like it's in the lungs to my untrained ear. I'll check her nares while I'm out there.

Thanks so much for your help. I'll let you know tomorrow how she's doing.
fl.gif

I only mentioned the type oil because someone else asked about it. I use olive oil (extra virgin at that), too, since it improves circulation and has more nutritional value than plain veg oil, but yeah, any will do. Will check on this thread later to see if she's improved. Have a good holiday!

Back
Top Bottom