Strange noise

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by silkiechick1, Jun 23, 2016.

1. silkiechick1

silkiechick1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2016
    My 11 month old Orpington hen is making a wheezing noise with her mouth open and every couple minutes she has a violent sneeze, does anybody know what is wrong with her? :( should we separate her?

2. natgrinks

natgrinks Just Hatched

Jun 22, 2016
    I am just learning this myself so bear with me:) Yes, I would separate her. I have the same problem with two of my chickens as well. Wheezing, sneezing with mucous flying. In my case it is most likely a respiratory infection such as coryza. I am giving mine 800mg of duramiacin in their water. One had goopy eyes as well and she is improving but discovered another sick one today wheezing. Feeding them scrambled eggs, oatmeal and applesauce. Also water mixed with crumbles. I'm giving them the antibiotics for ten to fourteen days. (Basically 1.5 tbs per gallon of water) Hope this helps a little.

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
  4. silkiechick1

silkiechick1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2016
    Thank you to the both of you for answering. We added some medicine to her water but she wasn't eating or drinking anything. The wheezing started Thursday, she was worse Friday so we took her to the vet and he said she had a respitory issue. He gave as some medicine to give her and when we got home her comb started to turn purple and she started having convulsions and she passed away.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry for your loss.

6. natgrinks

natgrinks Just Hatched

Jun 22, 2016
    I am so sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by