Strange noise

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cpait, Jan 28, 2017.

1. cpait

cpait Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello. I've read every thread I could find about coughing, crop, coxy. I cannot find a description that matches what we are experiencing. I'm leaning towards coxy. But here are our symptoms.
    Fluffed out feathers (but it is 40 degrees)
    A very low and rapid croaking noise
    The noise started on and off and became persistent.
    Yesterday and today she won't leave the egg box
    Last night I harassed her until she came out and she gobbled up some scratch and water.
    I've given her a general physical and besides a dry and faded comb, earlobes and waddle I can't see anything obvious.
    Any suggestions? They have never had any vaccines. They are about 9 months old and just started laying on Christmas Eve.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Could she be broody? Even at that age they can want to hatch eggs. Otherwise she may be getting sick with a possible respiratory disease. Could you post a video? Just in case she is wheezing or having stridor, you can check out this video of stridor, a noisy sound when there is something partially blocking the airway, including mucus or a piece of food:

3. cpait

cpait Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2015
    Virginia
    I'd be so happy if it was only broody. Here are couple videos. Sorry for my lack of cinematography skills. The first couple you can hear the noise. The last one I placed her on the ground with her flock and some meal worms and scratch. She acts like she's never eaten before and poops like a horse! I think she sits in the box and holds it in. She's not pooping in the boxes. She will move from one to the other occasionally.

Well... I can't figure out how to post a video from my Phone. I'll keep trying.

4. Adalida

Adalida Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    Sounds exactly like when my Buff goes broody. Is it almost like a growling noise that she makes? I'm trying to find a video for you to compare...

5. cpait

cpait Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2015
    Virginia

6. cpait

cpait Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2015
    Virginia

This one is good.

7. cpait

cpait Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2015
    Virginia
    This is a 'get that phone out of my face' but I'm posting so you can see her eyes look clear to me.

This is her after I forced her to socialize.

8. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    Broody. I recognize that sound, And the big poop.

9. cpait

cpait Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2015
    Virginia
    Oh I hope so. She's healthy other than being the one that always has a poopy butt. Since we don't have a rooster I guess that's a few weeks without her laying?
    My 5th one not pictured here is recovering from a hawk attack. The attack was stopped before she/he hurt her but he pucked her bald on one side. She's growing in nicely. Anyway no eggs from her while feathers grow back I guess.

10. Adalida

Adalida Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    Yep, broody! Now you get the fun of breaking her...or hatching eggs! I've had a few go broody who were very easy to break, but my Buff has to go to the "broody buster" dog crate for a few days to snap her out of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by