Strange noises from my chickens every morning? NO ROOSTER???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fushalilly, Aug 13, 2008.

1. fushalilly

fushalilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    Rhode Island
    Alright. I have threee hens and every morning they do te strangest thing. (Occassionally in the afternoon as well)

One will make this, just, amazingly LOUD sqwak noise! It sounds like shes being eaten by something but shes just sitting there normally. Its just so extremely LOUD. and the rest of the chickens will constantly cluck as she screams! What is this???!!!

They have just begun laying and they are black ssex-links. Please explain!!

Thank you!

2. healingdeva

healingdeva Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2008
    Does the commotion happen when they lay? Ours will make noise before, during and after one of the hens lays an egg. 3 out of 5 were carrying on today. At first I was concerned about the noise level and the neighbors, but then just started laughing because they all had their own pitch so to speak. It was quite funny.

3. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    THEY ARE LAYING EGGS. IT HURTS! [​IMG]

4. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    I got two eggs today from a couple of my Golden Comet sex-links and they both made that noise BEFORE they laid their eggs! I didn't hear anything during or after wards. But boy, I am worried about our neighbors too. I'm not sure they knew we even had chickens until today...they HAD to have heard that horrible squawking!!! It was just so loud!!! [​IMG]

I wonder if they ever quit doing that??

5. momofchicks

momofchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    I am not getting eggs yet, but the Rooster was bawking not crowing very loudly today and they were all acting very strange, I ran over there hoping someone had laid an egg, but found nothing. Do the roosters also get noisy when there is an egg?

6. CrazyAcres

CrazyAcres Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2008
    I think the first time my girls did that I just about freaked out- I thought they were being mauled or something.

they don't do it all the time now, they just grump up a storm when they are going to lay- the bok bok BAGOK bok bok BAGOK screaming chorus only happens occasionally now...and both my coops will get into it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by