Strange object found in a nesting box, is it a body part or ill-formed egg with ovary duct?

linguini

Songster
Jan 8, 2021
Bridgewater NJ (Central NJ)
Sorry about this unpleasant photo. We were shocked to find a dark reddish brown object in the nesting box today. The egg looking object has strange tubes attached to both end. The "egg" part is hard and rubbery. One end of the tube looks like part of the intestine, clear, soft tissue, and wet (could it be part of the ovary duct?) And the other end extended from the pointing end of the "egg" has same color and texture as the egg.

I was worried that it came from our almost 3 year old Peppercorn, an australorp, who has been trying to lay since the end of January when all other hens started laying since then. We thought perhaps she has just passed her egg production age. But she looked completely fine and all other chickens all seem fine and happy today.

Has anyone seen anything like this? Is this a body part? should we be concerned and what should we look out for?

BTW, It was also extremely hot, unseasonably hot, 90F in their coop and enclosed run today. We live in central NJ.

1681340462672.png

Last edited:
I think it's probably a lash egg which indicates Salpingitis

https://cluckin.net/lash-eggs-salpingitis-or-egg-lash-disease-in-chickens.html
Oh mine! Thanks for the response. We can narrow down to 2 hens since all other ones laid normally today. But they all look fine and happy. Not sure what we should do?

I suspect it's Peppercorn, she is chubby, and have been very productive the last two years, laid through both winters. Jumbo eggs, too. 75-85g per egg. She was limping a month ago, but recovered the very next day.

Any advice ?

It might be a weird egg, of which there are many different kinds, and some with “tails.” Can you cut it open to see if there is yolk inside?

It might be a weird egg, of which there are many different kinds, and some with “tails.” Can you cut it open to see if there is yolk inside?

Unfortunately the egg-like thing was no where to be found this morning. I left it on a concrete block - it was totally gross to look at, and was afraid of touching it. After taking the photo I got distracted by removing all the winter insulation/vinyl covers since it reached 90F in the covered run. I was concerned that the heat caused their distress.

On the upside, all the chickens seem to behave normally today. Their happy usual self.

Back
Top Bottom