Strange object found in egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AliceMalice, Feb 23, 2013.

1. AliceMalice

AliceMalice New Egg

Feb 23, 2013
    I was in the process of baking a cake today when i cracked open an egg to find some sort of strange form within. We have had these chickens about 2 years now, and while we've had some double-yolks, I have never seen anything like this. It almost seemed to be a forming chicken fetus, but I can't be sure. I took a few pictures, but it made me very uncomfortable to look at. Has anyone had this problem before? As a note, we only have 2 chickens and they are both definitely hens.

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    is it white like it attached to the yolk? some can be very thick. its ok to eat it . but a fetus ?

3. AliceMalice

AliceMalice New Egg

Feb 23, 2013
    I couldn't tell what was going on. I poked it a bit, and some parts were hard, other were slightly thicker than the white.

4. momgoose

momgoose Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2012
    NE Tucson
    Could you post the pictures?

5. AliceMalice

AliceMalice New Egg

Feb 23, 2013
    [​IMG]

6. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    really I dont know whats the heck it is ! Are you sure no roosters sneeking around?

7. AliceMalice

AliceMalice New Egg

Feb 23, 2013
    We've only got 2 chickens, so it can't be one of ours, and there really aren't many people with chickens around here. Sorta suburban, zoned for chickens, but it's not a thing. There's some people about half a mile away with chickens, but we saw theirs and they only had hens.

8. could it be a worm...?

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It's not a worm, it's not an embryo. It's a piece of ovarian tissue that got sloughed off during the formation of the egg. It's just a reproductive glitch that happens from time to time, and a big reason why commercial operations candle their eggs before selling them. Your average housewife would never buy that brand of egg again, would she?

Your hen is probably fine, I've had them from time to time over the years and never really knew who layed it, but didn't have anyone die or anything like that.

10. AliceMalice

AliceMalice New Egg

Feb 23, 2013
    Thanks. That's a big relief. It was just very strange to find in an egg, you know?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by