Strange parrot question time. :/

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by mr.mc., Nov 5, 2011.

1. mr.mc.

mr.mc. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Indiana
    Ok so I know some peeps who feed there macaw chile peppers as treats.
    What I want to know is, can they eat any other peppers, like jalapenos? [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  2. yankeedoodle300

yankeedoodle300 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Chicken Heaven
    I Have 3 Parakeets, And have NEVER Given them A Pepper of any kind.

I Wouldn't Give them Other pepper's, but that's me.

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If they don't like them, they won't eat them.
    They certainly won't hurt them. They have lots of vitamins. Jalapenos are chiles.
    We fed Macaws anything we could get cheap in the market in Costa Rica.
    That included Papayas, Mangos, chiles, tomatoes, greens, root crops. Chopped properly they ate everything.
    We couldn't afford pelleted feed so we fed whatever we could grow or what was available with mineral and vitamin supplements.
    I'm talking hundreds of Macaws.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  4. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yep, that would be perfectly fine for them. Some birds will eat them and others won't. Parrots don't have a sense of smell like our own and so I've found that the spicy flavor of the peppers don't really bother them.

The only things that should not under any circumstances be given to your parrot are chocolate, coffee, and avocado. All three are very toxic to their systems.

5. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Yes, if he likes them, they are fine. There are seed mixes that have dried chilis in them. I even make my own mix, and buy the dried ones at the bodega for way cheaper than the pet stores.
    Just see if he'll eat them before you get a big amount. And the fresh ones are ok too. Just remember he has that nasty stuff on his beak, next time you go for a kiss! Or, an eye itch....
    I have found, even though they don't eat them, some foods are good just to amuse them by shredding up.

6. mr.mc.

mr.mc. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Indiana
    WOW, he seems to like them a lot! I think I just fond a new type of treat. [​IMG] !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    Quote:[​IMG]

8. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    My sun conure loves dried hot peppers. But I have to only give them to her under supervision. Why? Because she knows it is SO MUCH FUN to eat part of the pepper, and then fling the remainder do the dogs. They instantly gobble anything she tosses, no questions asked. The fastest dog snapped up the pepper and instantly regretted that decision! I gave the poor dear yogurt to cool her burning mouth, but she didn't learn from the experience.

9. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Chickencanoe,

Those pictures are amazing! Where was it that you worked? How did you come across that job?

10. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    You can also add red pepper flakes (or chili powder) to anything you bake for your parrots.
    Our parrotlet LOVES a homemade cornbread mix I make for her (think cornbread pancake with LOTS of goodies inside - sunflower seeds, flax seeds, shredded carrot, shredded zucchini, chopped green pepper and seeds, etc.). I always add in a tablespoon of red pepper flakes. She digs 'em out of the breading!
    Yummy stuff. But I agree - make sure you know WHERE she's flinging the 'extra's as well as no kisses until she's wiped her beak off REALLY well!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by