Strange poo - egg tract failure or what?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kurka, Jan 18, 2011.

1. kurka

kurka Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    This came out of my little hen [​IMG]
    What can it be? The chick is silkie cross about 5 months now, not laying yet, growing very slowly. I bought her sick at age of 1month, she had some parasites of feathers and coccidiosis.. I gave her medicine for coccidiosis, and later antibiotics. Still sometimes she is making something like that poo.. i thougt it is blood, but it's not. It has no smell and is kin of meaty substance, i have no idea what is it but i would like to know - do i have to worry? Or m aybe i should give her something again? coccidiosis medicine?

2. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  3. kurka

kurka Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    Well, it looks like "shed intestinal lining in them - quite normal, not a cause for concern." But she is not in lay, and she has that since i had her [4 weeks old], so what could be the cause of that constant shedding?[​IMG] parasites, genetic problem?

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

The intestinal lining shedding was my first thought as well...

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If she had been kept in horrible conditions before you got her then it could be parasites, but at her age I'd say more genetic. This is just a guess on my part though since you say it's normal for her.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by