1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Strange poop. Evidence that we are close to laying? Maybe?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Zonoma, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Zonoma

Zonoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Northern Kentucky
    Today I went out and spent some time with the girls, as usual, but this time I found a strange poo in the run. It looked like a normal, healthy poo mixed with a clear fluid which reminded me of pre-cooked egg whites and a small bloody mass. I'm hoping this was just a 'practice' or 'oops' run from my older set of barnyard pullets (Orp/Black Marans, I think). Can someone confirm this or should I worry?

EDIT: I think the oldest pullets I have should be 16 weeks.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  2. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    From my experience, it doesn't mean that laying is imminent. Mine did that in the 4-6 weeks before they started.

3. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

None of my pullets have ever done this before laying. Check out Cocciciosis and watch for any more bloody stool. Now would be a good time to medicate them if necessary, so you could get the egg withdrawl over before they start laying.....or just have to pitch a few eggs.

4. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    Quote:Yes, definitely. In my pullets, it was just egg white looking, no blood.

5. Zonoma

Mar 15, 2011
    Northern Kentucky
    Quote:Yes, definitely. In my pullets, it was just egg white looking, no blood.

[​IMG] Hmm. It really didn't look like the descriptions and pics I've seen of Cocciciosis - more like the shed lining pics. It does concern me, though, that it was egg white looking in your pullets and not bloody. I'll have to do some research.

No one told me chickens required soooo much time on the computer. [​IMG]

Thanks for the heads' up.

6. ChickenBrik

ChickenBrik Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    Lyman, Maine
    I stumbled across a dropping just like that a few days ago....on the roof of the coop, where a few of the girls like to hang out. My pullets are also around 16 - 18 weeks old. I have found no other droppings with evidence of blood before or since then. They have also been on medicated grower feed since I purschased them as chicks.

I assumed the blood was a sign of heat stress?!?

I was going to post something about it if I found more, but nothing yet... thankfully.

7. Chicky Monkey

Chicky Monkey Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    That is really interesting, because, even though I didn't see blood, at least one of my 18-week old hens is suddenly dropping strange poo, too...alot like yours. And at least one of my hens (don't know which one) has started laying eggs. I've gotten three small eggs in the last week. Boy, it sure seems like there may be a connection!

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  9. Zonoma

Mar 15, 2011
    Northern Kentucky
    Quote:[​IMG] Yep. I'm familiar with it. Looked a lot like shed lining. That's why I posted here and not in the ER forums. The thought that it might be cocci definitely took me by surprise.

10. Chicky Monkey

Chicky Monkey Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    I just LOVE this forum! I was really worried until I read these postings! Mine are all acting fine and don't act like anything is wrong, so it was a mystery to me! Thanks for everyone's input!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by