Strange Poop! Please view. *WITH PICTURE*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PepsNick, Dec 2, 2010.

1. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Well, I am not sure WHICH chicken crapped this out, but it sure looks gross, and I want to make sure I don't have to worry? So I am just going to fill this out for all of the birds.

1) What type of bird , age and weight.EE, BSL, White Leghorn/Rock, BR
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.Completely normal
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?Only seen the poop once, today.
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?Maybe...
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.No.
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.Maybe I waited too long to change out the bedding? Though just yesterday I scrubbed down and then completely rinsed the coop, and changed out the bedding.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Here is a link to the food: http://www.farmerd.com/product/organic-layer-feed/wildlife_chickens And they have been drinking pain hose water.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Runny and mushy. Also very flat.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?None.
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?Would PREFER to treat myself, but if vet is needed I am willing to go there.
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.It is at the bottom.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. Plain hay from Home Depot. Never had any problems with it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  2. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    Home depot sells hay?!! how much is it?

do they have grit? usually green poop means that they are not digesting their food properly.

3. PepsNick

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Quote:They ran out of grit a few days ago. Perfect! I'll run and buy some this evening.

I don't remember the price, I'll PM you next time I go.

4. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  5. Ironmaiden

Ironmaiden Chicken Maiden

Jun 14, 2010
    Kansas
    Um, looks like normal poo to me, my RIR Roo makes a big pile and he's healthy as a horse. I've seen green poo too, when they have been eating alot of freerange grasses.

6. PepsNick

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Good to know. They're out eating grass now.

7. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    when I feed mine a lot of greens their poo gets pretty green! but it is always good to offer grit, unless they are free ranged.

8. PepsNick

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Quote:They are free ranged. But I still offer grit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by