1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

strange quail behaviour or ill quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by curious penguin, Jan 26, 2014.

1. curious penguin

curious penguin Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2013
    Hi guys
    one of my young males keeps walking/stumbling round in a circle like hes trying to walk in a straight line. But he is able to walk straight so I dont know what to think :S
    Thanks

2. USAmma

USAmma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Sounds like a neurological issue. If it doesn't get better soon he might need to be put down. :-(

3. curious penguin

May 12, 2013
    :( thats what i was thinking. Ill see how he gos over the next week hoprfully he picks up a bit :( thanx for your help

4. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

If it doesn't get better in a day or two days at the most put it down, don't make it go a whole week. Do they have access to wet food? If not then its from not drinking water, either they don't feel good so they don't drink, or bullies keep them away from the water. Either way if you pick it up and set it down on its feet if it falls over on one side then its nerve damage. It does not get better. It may seem to perk up if you hand feed it or give it water but, its false hope.

5. curious penguin

May 12, 2013
    if i pick him up his head does not stop twitching from side to side i can upload a video to my quail fb page if you would like to see what he is like :(. it could be lack of water in the coop i have 2 rabbit water bottles so the dominant male might be stoping him. :(

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    He probably hit his head on the ceiling and caused some brain swelling. Keep him separated and under a heat lamp, around 80 degrees for a few days. Feed him what EVER he will eat, even if that is corn chex. (Injured or sick quail do not readily eat their gamebird food). He may recover. Many times they do if give good supportive care.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. curious penguin

May 12, 2013
    Thanx tc I shall try

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by